Sunday, February 25, 2007

"Don't be Crazy"

"Why not go after her? what have you got to lose? What have you got to lose?"

I had been feeling a sort of angst, an impatience, all evening. Some friends invited me to a jazz show near my house, but when I showed up I couldn't stand being there. Normally I'm fine with some live jazz, but at that moment it irritated me to no end. It seemed so soft, just some polite, mood-setting background music; and here I was, ready to scream. I couldn't take it.

I ended up going with a friend to a bar on Gaza street. Both of us were a little dispirited. As we left - another uneventful night, another day of eternal bachelorhood - a young lady standing outside the bar caught his fancy. She parted ways with her friends and began walking up the street. I told my friend he should try - what has he got to lose? You can't afford to dwell on these situations, so I quickly patted him on the shoulder, wished him goodbye/good luck, and turned up Radak street for the walk home.

He never did go up to her, but the thought stayed with me. What have you got to lose?

I felt a longing. I was terribly missing my former self. My throat welled up. I was thinking in a way I hadn't thought like in - what was it? 6, 7 years?

For those few moments, I went straight back to the sort of total romanticism I had only experienced in my early twenties. All the advanced calculus of making first contact gave way to this naivete. What have I got to lose? My god, why had I stopped ever thinking that? I'm all of 28, but it felt like I was staring at an old photograph, realizing how much I've aged.

In my close group we called it a "kamikaze mission": a situation where there's not going to be any way to make proper social contact before stating your intentions. You just have to go up, say something short, hope for the best and ask. The classic one is when she's just passed you on the street. Something deep in your gut says it would be a crying shame to let her go. But let me be clear here - this was never mere physical attraction. There would be something about her, something beyond, a je ne sais quoi, that would induce me to do something I would certainly never contemplate doing normally.

It was all coming back to me - "what have I got to lose?" I used to think like that all the time. Going up to a young lady and straightforwardly, almost confessionally, asking her for her number. So she says no - so you gave her a compliment. What's wrong with that? You gave a total stranger a bit of an ego boost for the evening. It was a win-win situation. That was part of the romantics of it - I used to feel happy all the time at the prospect of making someone else happy.

It was such a youthful way of thinking, from a time when even someone out on the street could juuust be "the one". Nothing else mattered at that moment. why not? Take the plunge. No hang-ups, no long analysis of what sort of person she is, I just wanted to go up and try. Not to belittle the genuineness of my interest for a second, but yes - it was very exciting. I would smile at the prospect of doing it, not that there wasn't a good bit of dread as well...

Started walking down Osishkin.

These feelings used to arise at night for me. I would go out on the porch of my parents house, stare at the stars, and something deep inside would strike me. I can't describe it - simultaneous excitement and despair at the untapped potential I thought I had. I would sit at home, and think I have to write something. It's 1:30AM - let's write a book! Let's take my guitar and go sit somewhere and play it. Something's bound to happen! There was a spark of pure romanticism that would bubble to the surface, even in calculating, rational ol' me. god, I haven't had that in years.. what happened? when did all that change? It seems so naive now.

It was around when I hit Bezalel street that it started to fade. I began to see the folly of it, like big, gaping holes. "Don't be crazy. You'd just intimdate her. A total stranger walking up to her like that, in the early hours of the morning? Why on earth would she agree to it? Look, with all the good will in the world, she simply doesn't know you from Adam; you're just putting her on the spot. What do you want her to say? Have some dignity - be an adult. You can't just pounce like that out of the blue. It's a very stressful situation to put her in, and she's much better off playing it safe. You know what? If she says yes, she's probably crazy."

By the time I turned onto my street, it was gone. You grow up, I guess. You mature. People out on the street can't be "the one", right? These things take time, you build them.

I used to be crazy.

6 comments:

tafka PP said...

...Ah, but there are different forms of crazy. And the mood will take you again, as and when, should you want it to...Take it from someone (much, much) older!

Dooby said...

I had one of those moments that you describe staying at my parents house on Friday night. A sort of electricity... all this romance in me, it's bound to come out. I'm destined for greater things! That too faded in the morning. So yeah, I can identify.

Dooby said...

You're a battle hardened vet... there's romance to that too
And not just any battle...
you've been on the losing side of Stalingrad
You've suffered the cold
And youve had your victories as well
you took the bullets in Normandy
And you were stationed in the remote Deserts of Algiers
With no provisions
you fought your way through the grit
Waded your way in the sand
Wild animals tried to eat your flesh at night when you slept
So yeah.
You ain't got that 22 year old magic
Butcha got a badge of honor.
From life
And one day
You will be in a village
come back from years of war
And she will be there to tend your wounds
And you will tell her the story
Of a soldier who was once a boy
Who once had a dream

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
youknowwho said...

an unrelated post back at ya - to be totally honest, i don't think i did anything special to have it list "previous posts" on my blog. in fact, i was looking how to get it to list the different labels (which you have) and didn't quite know how to do that so gave up (my level of investment in my blog as of late has been pretty minimal...) in any case, perhaps it's just a setting that comes with various templates (each with its own variation on types of listings).

and a related commment: as a woman, it is quite frustrating to have a guy seem like he's going to ask for your number and then not. so just ask. REALLY.

Anonymous said...

Having someone jump in front of me, when i'm quite alone in the street at a very late hour, would surely make me grab for my can of pepper spray.

Giving you my phone number? What on earth makes you think i would?

I talked about his post with some of my (female) friends and that was the reaction of ALL of us.
No matter how cute you might look, we wouldn't SEE that in the given situation