Sunday, January 17, 2010

31 1/2 update: Relationship! (Not a typo...)

Well, I've been away for a while. A loong while - I'd previously managed at least one passing thought worthy of comitting to silicon every month or two but poof, it's a half year gone by. Yes, this can only mean one thing: I'm in a relationship.

Avid reader(s) may read enough between the lines of the previous 2-3 years to figure this hadn't really happened. And as my last post showed, I'd faced the cold reality of life squarely, and walked away a little dispirited, but at least comfortable with seeing the truth. That, of all times, was when lightning struck. (Substitute with Cupid reference of your choice).

The story is long and primarily our - and our friends' and parents' - business, but it's a good one. Which is nice. The point is, though, I'm still a freak. I mean, not a freak per se, but still a little out of step with some basic elements of living that others seem to pull off at reasonably well. And here comes someone who'se ok with that. And who fills a room with joy. and who'se laugh is... and who'se got so many things going for her, it's obvious she'd be taken when I was first seriously interested, as she was. Luckily, I had the chance to keep up the acquaintance and, with some uncanny luck and some major twists and turns, earn her willingness to put up with me. Which I'm still grateful for, several days shy of 5 months in.

It feels real, because we're both ourselves. It feels like a 30-something connection, not a 20-something one. We're formed people. We continue to be ourselves and have our separate interests, but luckily there's plenty of common ground and willingness to respect each other's space, and all kinds of mature stuff way ahead of what I - Mr. 1-2 dates guy - thought I could ever pull off at this stage. Unsurprisingly, I'm still occasionally doing some dumb s&%t and getting the right slack for it, but it's ok. We move on. This is real, and I love it. and her.

Now not to screw it up.

No comments: